The Giardini< Back
Several pavilions in the Gardens were designed and built by famous architects. Built in 1934, the Austrian Pavilion was one of the very last works of Josef Hoffmann, a leading figure in the "Secession" movement.
The Dutch Pavilion was built in 1954 by Gerrit Thomas Rietveld, the leader of the De Stijl movement; its rigorously geometrical proportions are all based on a simple square.
The Finnish Pavilion is a pre-fabricated structure designed by Alvar Aalto - it was assembled in 1956 from parts produced in Finland itself; entirely in wood, it was intended to be used for a single Biennale.